I went back and updated yesterdays post “What the Heck are You Doin’?”, but just thought it would be a good idea to give you a calculator that will help you work out your own base rate that you can use the other part of the formula to figure out how much you should be eating.
A reminder — it was 10% less than my test actually said I was. This is where an individualized test is a GREAT idea if you are having issues or stalls loosing. Most university hospitals will have some eating program that can help you with this type of test. If you can’t find one of those look for a Sports Medicine Doctor, or a Sports Dietitian or Nutritionist (like the link I am including) many of these folk can help you with that. I found the lady in the link from a TRI woman Swim Bike Mom–she is amazing as well you should check her out–she doesn’t let weight stop her from TRI-ing!
BMR/RMR Calculator Just click on the hyper-link in the words and check your rate out.
- Once you have your BMR, you have to consider your activity level:
- sedentary: BMR x 20%,
- lightly active: BMR x 30%,
- moderately active (exercise most days of the week) BMR x 40%,
- very active (intense exercise daily OR for prolonged periods) BMR x 50%,
- extra active (hard labor or an athlete in training): BMR x 60%
- Add this number to your BMR. The result will be the total number of calories you can eat, daily, to maintain your current weight. If you goal is to lose body fat, you will want to consume 500 – 1000 fewer calories (daily). If you want to gain muscle, you will need to eat slightly more calories AND lift weights.
Notice I have a neck in the new pic and collar bones — not breast that are about to choke me! I got a good angle on my face in that old shot (2nd one)– like way above not straight on like the new one (1st one), so you don’t see the change as well. I can see it — I can see I have a neck in first one and not the second. I am also so large in the bottom pic that my body is off the chair — not in the one taken yesterday (1st pic). Some victories are just too sweet not to point out!
Don’t get discouraged because you are stuck or even gained weight. Get the knowledge you need to Kick your issues in the BUTT! Be a Butt Kicker!