I will work on stealing nomnompaleo’s pictures later … you got pics from Paleo PDX’s I reblogged earlier. Nom Nom Paleo’s page didn’t have a convenient “reblog” button–so I stole it and gave her credit. I must warn you that some of the food does not look tasty–but eating this way–I have learned that looks can often be deceiving. I am a go-by-the-looks-of-a-dish kinda girl–always think we eat with our eyes first. I do plan to work on ways to improve the visual appearance of said dishes, and will snap some for you when I get-er (pronounce southern style get – hER) done. 😉
I realize this is several posts for one day and I appologize if I am binging your e-mail too much. I do appreciate your kind indulgence. I am trying to gather recipes so that I can cook healthy and easy. 😀
Blessings … Shonnie
Slow Cooker Roast Chicken and Gravy
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: ~5-6 hours
- 4-5 pound organic Kosher chicken
- 2 tablespoons of ghee
- 2 onions, chopped medium
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup white wine (replace with ¼ cup chicken stock if on the Whole30)
- Sunny Paris seasoning (or your favorite seasoning)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Remove chicken from the fridge and remove any giblets from the cavity. Dry the chicken and season it liberally (inside and out) with salt, pepper, and Sunny Paris seasoning.
- Melt the ghee in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat and sauté the onions, garlic, and tomato paste until the aromatics are softened and lightly browned (around 8-10 minutes). Season the veggies with salt and pepper to taste.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine and chicken stock and transfer everything to the slow cooker.
- Place the chicken breast side down in the slow cooker, put on the cover, and set it to cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- When the chicken is finished cooking, take it out of the slow cooker and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Defat the braising sauce, check for seasoning, and blend it with an immersion blender to make delicious gravy.
- Carve the chicken and served it with the gravy.
(Serves 4 – 6)