Well … of course you get up and KICK IT RIGHT BACK!
Last night I wrote this out for my Autistic 17 year old, Collin, to read aloud to himself. He told me that he hated who he was. That broke my heart as a mother.
I am the mother of several children with LEARNING DIFFERENCES (you might call them special needs–I DON’T).
- First–sequencing disorder. That she kicked in the butt and took AP classes.
- Second–Traumatic Brain injury. He is a walking MIRACLE! He is still kickin’ it –and he saved his brother’s life so I am VERY PROUD.
- Third–ADD, Dislexia, and Tourettes. She can write and speak so well that it will blow your mind.
- my third child (daugther) in video (she is the blond running from the zombie and that is her screaming).
- Fourth–Autistic. he has defied all confines of the disorder. He is a walking MIRACLE!
We DO NOT accept limitations. We understand our weaknesses, we analyze them, accept the challenges, and then we defy their sorry confines, and KICK THEM IN THE BUTT! Because NO one, but US, defines who we are and what we can do.
My beautiful young man needed to be reminded that he is amazing. He wants to be like everyone else. I think that would be selling himself short. I think we all need to be reminded occasionally that–We ARE AMAZING.